Saturday, October 6, 2012

Retro Lilac!

Remember how I said my favorite color is purple? And them how I bought this amazing lilac polish by Essie? Yeah there's gonna be a lot of lilac. 
I started with my lilac polish, applied two coats. Then I made a black french with watery black acrylic paint, and then I filled it in with polish. Why? The paint does 70% of the work when it's that thin, it follows the nail very nicely. My black polish is very thin and needs at least two coats, but with acrylic under it you just need one. I really love having a black french!
Then.. The polish bubbled. I got so frustrated, I waited longer than usual and it hasn't bubbled before. But that mage me a reason to apply glitter. The best way to cover up bubbles is glitter. I hope you can't see it too well, but on my thumb and index finger there is way too much glitter. That's because I tried to apply it using a brush that isn't a fan brush (I still don't have one!), and it was just too much. Then I put some clear polish on my palette and put a little bit of glitter in that, and suddenly it was perfect. That was the whole reason I bought that cheap, clear polish too!
Then I started applying dots. The paint was a bit too watery, so the dots aren't as perfect as I want them, but you can't see that unless you're really close so I let it be. I started with big black dots, and then went over to my smaller dotting tool and made white dots, in the black dots and some over the black french. If I had the space I went in again with a black dot inside them. If a dot got a lot sloppier than acceptable, I put in a silver 2mm rhinestone. And I ended up with this retro design that I actually quite like. 


Initially I was going to make this design matte, but since it bubbled I didn't want to. Applying a matte top coat over bubbles makes the bubbles a lot more obvious. But I'm also out of Seche Vite, so I used my cheap not-really-a-top-coat to top coat and even hours after I'd applied it, the rhinestones moved around and smudged the design. You get so spoiled after using Seche, since it's rock solid within minutes. 

I also painted my mums nails! She wanted something pink to match her outfit for the weekend, so I used quite a strong pink (for her) and then painted a light pink filigree on her ring fingers and thumbs. She wanted it on all her nails but man.. They're so demanding to paint. Really makes your hands shake after a while, and you can't afford that with those thin lines. 


The lines were perfect before top coating, but they got a bit smudged by the polish which is a shame. They're really thin lines though so it's understandable. She also couldn't sit still long enough for the top coat to dry, so that might've contributed. But she's happy nontheless and therefore so am I. 
Tialiq

No comments:

Post a Comment