Saturday, August 11, 2012

Purple with Leopard!

Sometimes I just can't name my designs at all! 

Okay so this is a long story. However, I'll put it a bit further down. First, the design! 

I painted my nails with my favorite color, a nice pastel purple. Then I didn't really know what to do, until I saw this neon orange polish just standing around on my desk. 
I used a pumpkin orange acrylic paint as my base, and made little stripes, almost like flames. Then I went over it again with the neon polish, and finally with a shimmery, thin orange polish with golden reflexes. It looked cool just like that, but I wanted to paint more! And what color compliments both purple and orange? Gold! 
Again, I started with acrylic paint and made a dark yellow using orange, so it wouldn't turn mustard yellow. I randomly dotted in misshaped dots with my brush, and then went over it again with golden acrylic paint. To make the leopard print happen I mixed in black with my golden paint, to make a shimmery, not as heavy black. And voilá! 


Top picture is taken under a bright light, and is how it looks in sunlight. Here you can see the golden reflexes in the orange. But below.. That's taken in daylight, it was cloudy, and the neon really pops! Camera doesn't pick it up too well, but trust me, these shine!



Now for the story. 

At first I was doing to do a marble design. That water design I made keeps coming back in my head and I just wanted to do it again. This time though, I wanted to marble lava. 
It started off great. I painted my nails yellow and marbled the first layer with a thin, light yellow and orange. Next dip was red and grey, and then I did a last dip as well to get it a bit darker. It looked pretty cool! 



But I wanted to add more. Just wearing a marble felt too simple. So I thinned golden acrylic paint until it was basically just water with golden shimmer, and added it on top. Then I tried adding golden glitter on my thumb, and that's when it started to look horrible. 
I added rhinestones and then realized how awful it looked. So I figured I could add flowers to make it better. Using crimson and gold, I made flowers on all my nails and added rhinestones in the middle. This is what it looked like:


Since I'd been working on my nails for quite a while I got frustrated and removed it all in anger. I put on purple polish because it's my favorite color, to cheer myself up a bit, and then I waited for an idea to hit me. Luckily, my orange polishes were still out and gave me the idea that I'm now wearing! 
Eventually, things always work themselves out!
Tialiq

No comments:

Post a Comment