Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Pink Magnet!

I got a neon pink polish a while ago that I hadn't tried out yet. I'm not much for pink, as you probably know by now. I also got a grey magnetic polish. So I thought, hey, maybe I can combine these?
I had done some testing with the magnetic polish and noticed that if you apply one coat over a color coat, and use the magnet, the color will shine through. I love the effect of this, and decided to make a magnet streak over a neon pink nail.


I started with two coats of my neon pink. I could've just gone with one if I was in a hurry, it had amazing coverage, but I had time and went for two. Then I let it dry over night, because I have been paranoid about using tape since my tape disaster that I have posted on here somewhere.
I cut a long piece of tape in half, and put it on the sides. The tape curved along the shape of the nail, which I really liked and decided to keep. Then I pressed firmly on the edges where I'd put polish. It wasn't as secure over the rest of the nail, which in restrospect was a fantastic idea, since even though it had dried over night, pieces of pink came off where I'd secured it properly.
Then I applied my grey magnetic polish in one, thick coat, and put my magnet over it, as close as I could, for 5 long seconds.
The edges were a bit uneven, not because of bleeding but because tape is see-through and I hadn't aligned it properly. I fixed this with a black stripe, but something was missing. I looked through my box of pretty stuff, and noticed my silver striping tape. You can't really see it in the pictures, but it actually reflects rainbow, and isn't just silver. However, striping tape can be a b*tch to deal with. Even under two coats of top coat, my nails looked like this the day after:


I hadn't cut the ends off tight enough. As you can see on my index finger, that one lasted and that one doesn't reach the edge. But now I know! 
This design had many steps, but it was very quick to make, which was what I needed. The day before, I had attempted an on-nail marble. I had played on a fake nail, and it looked amazing;


 

Let's compare, shall we?

 




I tried adding glitter to make it less horrible, and the opposite happened. Oh well, we can't always succeed. 
I'm happy with my magnetic ones though, and those were the ones I wore! You can always try again!
Tialiq

2 comments:

  1. I have never tried putting a magnetic polish over another color to see if it comes through, that's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I only thought of it because 1 coat was just so thin, but it turned out pretty great. Thanks for commenting! x

      Delete